The minimum requirement for the Institutions/Universities, Research Centers etc. for being eligible to receive grants under the scheme is compliance to the UGC’s minimum standards and procedures for award of M.Phil./PhD Degree, Regulation, 2009 (ref. The Gazette of India July11, 2009 Part III sec 4) as amended time to time.
All institutions falling in the following seven categories are eligible to participate in the scheme and receive grants:
- Indian Institutes of Technologies (IITs)
- National Institutes of Technologies (NITs)
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc)
- Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research (IISERs)
- Central Universities
- Deemed Universities under Central Government
- Colleges/Institutions of National Importance
Institutions falling into the following six categories also
- Universities created under a Provincial Act/State Act
- State Universities
- Private Universities
- Private Deemed to be Universities
- Colleges that are allowed to offer PhDs
- Other academic and R&D institutions
are eligible to participate in the scheme subject to meeting the additional eligibility criteria as mentioned below:
- The Institution should have existing post graduate stream in ESDM/IT/ITES and have produced PhDs in these areas for the last 3 years. The PhD student(s) under this scheme to be admitted as per UGC admission norms
- The Institution should be recognized by AICTE and NBA (National Board of Accreditation) accredited with respect to ESDM & IT/ITES Programmes.
The Institution should be accredited by NAAC (National Assessment and Accreditation Council of UGC).
Such an institution would be required to furnish a copy of documents in support of meeting the above mentioned eligibility criteria to the PhD Cell, MeitY.